When I’m out at a nice restaurant having a delicious dinner with family or friends, the last thing on my mind is what will happen to my food after I’ve chewed it up. I don’t think about where those scrumptious morsels of steak or chocolate molten lava cake go once they leave my palate and slide “down the hatch.”
But the nuts and bolts of the digestive process are fascinating. When we swallow, food passes down a long tube, known as the esophagus, into the stomach. This tube must pass through a muscle known as the diaphragm, which is located near the bottom of the rib cage. There is an opening in the diaphragm that permits the esophagus to pass through, which is regulated by a sphincter muscle. The sphincter relaxes and opens when we swallow, to permit food to pass through the diaphragm and into the stomach. Then this sphincter closes to prevent stomach acid from coming back up into the throat. In that way, we can savor our meal, feeling satisfied as it efficiently digests. It’s a brilliant system, and works like a charm. Until it doesn’t.
Acid reflux or Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) occurs when stomach acid flows upward into our esophagus. GERD can be aggravated by a number of different factors, including a hiatal hernia, which is a condition in which a small part of the stomach bulges and rolls or slides up into this opening and becomes stuck there. When part of the stomach is forced up into the diaphragm, the sphincter muscle cannot close properly. So, the stomach acid travels back up causing burning sensations, esophageal spasms, inflammation and ulcers.
The symptoms of acid reflux are:
- Pain in the upper abdomen and chest.
- An acid taste in the mouth.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- A burning pain when swallowing hot drinks.
- Sore throat
Bio-Touch has been shown to ease the symptoms associated with acid reflux. While not a substitute for standard medical care, Bio-Touch is the perfect touch-healing therapy that complements mainstream medicine. And best of all, everyone can learn to use it.